XCO INTERNATIONAL ROAD ROAD (XCO CLASS 2)
September 02, 2018 – Itabirito / MG
Itabirito, known at the time as Itabira do Campo (district created in 1752 and subordinated to the municipality of Ouro Preto), was elevated to the category of town with the denomination of Itabirito on September 7, 1923 and to the condition of city on September 10, 1925.
It was in the XVIII century, between 1706 and 1709, that the Captain-Mor Francisco Man Del Rey and the pilot of Nau Our Lady of Boa Viagem, Luiz de Figueiredo Monterroyo arrived in the region in search of gold. From 1752, already in the condition of Colonial District of Vila Rica, it was named after Itabira do Campo, who identified it until 1923, when it emancipated itself politically on September 7, under the name of Itabirito, Tupi, which means “stone that scratches red”, this name that denominates an abundant iron ore in the region.
The fact that the city is located exactly between Ouro Preto and the old Curral Del Rey, chosen to become the new capital of Minas Gerais, made the city a strategic point of stop for the tropeiros that traveled through the mountains between the two localities.
Its economy revolves around mining, steel and trade, and the last two invariably depend on the mineral activity performed in the municipality. It is located in the latitude 20º 15 ’12 “south and longitude 43º 48′ 05” west, being at an average altitude of 901 meters, predominating the tropical climate of altitude, of type Cwb in the climatic classification of Köppen, with temperate and humid summers and dry winters, occasional frosts are recorded in the municipality. The highest topographic point of the city is the Peak of Serra de Ouro Fino, in Espinhaço, with 1753 m² of altitude, the lowest is the confluence of Ribeirão Manso and Rio das Velhas, with 770 meters of altitude. The elevation in the central area is 848 meters and in Pico de Itabirito the data is 1586 meters. It is located in the middle distance between Ouro Preto (48 km) and Belo Horizonte (55 km).