MARATHON INTERNATIONAL CHAOYANG ROAD ROYAL (MARATHON UCI SERIES)
April 22, 2018 – Ouro Branco / MG
The town of Santo Antônio de Ouro Branco had its origin in the end of the seventeenth century, probably in the year 1694, as a consequence of the occupation process started with the first flags that, rising up the Rio das Velhas looking for gold, broke the region, at the foot of the Serra de Ouro Branco, also called, at the time, Serra do Deus (te) Livre (registered by IEPHA on 07/11/1978).
The primitive inhabitants of this region were the Indians of the Carijós tribe. The Serra do Ouro Branco has an approximate area of 1,614 hectares and is located in the municipality of Ouro Branco. It is an abrupt rise, formed by a wall of about twenty kilometers in length to the southeast, which delimits a plateau whose altitude varies between 1,250 and 1,568 meters and steep slopes to the northeast.
The majority of the soils are sandy, originating from quartzite rocks and a small portion, to the northeast, is composed of clay soils from the itabirite formation.
It is considered the southern boundary of the Espinhaço Chain, which comprises a group of mountain ranges with varying altitudes, extending over 1,100 km to Bahia. This chain houses one of the richest ecosystems in the world, the rocky fields.
The Serra do Ouro Branco is an important recharge area of the Paraopeba and Doce river basins. It has a large number of springs and water courses, which, for the most part, form Lake Soledade. In addition, it supplies all the water that is consumed by the city of Ouro Branco.